Connect with us


Man jailed for rape and kidnap of British backpacker

An Australian man who kidnapped, raped and savagely assaulted a British backpacker has been jailed for 10 years.

Elisha Greer, from Liverpool, told the media she was repeatedly beaten and raped by her attacker – who she met at a party in 2017 – during her month-long ordeal.

Marcus Martin, 24, was sentenced on Tuesday at Cairns District Court having previously pleaded guilty to three counts of rape and one count of deprivation of liberty.

Speaking earlier this month, Ms Greer told Australia's Channel 7 that Martin initially seemed "like a nice guy".

He moved in with her, before they were both evicted and he forced her on a 1,600km (994 miles) road trip around Queensland.


Ms Greer described how Martin got hold of a gun he said was for "protection" and took her along with him to rob a drug dealer.

"I was forced to drive the car with the gun to my head," she said.

More from UK

  • Boots plots hundreds of store closures in new retail blow

  • LIVE: London Bridge: Attacker called terrorism 'an eye for an eye'

  • Revealed: What 'McMafia order' wife Zamira Hajiyeva spent £16m on at Harrods

  • JLS star Oritse Williams cleared of raping woman at hotel

  • Labour to be investigated by EHRC over alleged discrimination against Jews

  • Three Lions song rewritten for Women's World Cup

Later, he launched a violent attack, hitting, raping and choking her until she passed out.

"He turned around and he just started to hit me, hit me, hit me," said Ms Greer.

Image: Ms Greer was forced to drive Martin around Queensland. Pic: Sarah Dionysius /The Western Star/NRM

Despite apologising after each assault, Martin's controlling behaviour did not stop.

She told Channel 7 her attacker caused terrible injuries: "He broke my nose, split my eyebrow open, I had various amounts of bite marks all up and down my arms, I had bite marks on my face, he had stabbed me in the neck with the key, I had two black eyes, hand prints all over my body from bruises. So many bruises."

Ms Greer became so desperate to escape she even contemplated killing Martin, but was worried how he would react if she failed.

During one stop on their journey she left an unanswered plea for help in a visitors' book.

After five days of driving, the pair stopped for petrol at a service station in Mitchell – about 370 miles (600km) west of Brisbane – and left without paying.

Police were called and pulled over the car on the Warrego Highway – they found Ms Greer bruised and battered, and Martin hiding in the back seat.

Continue Reading