Connect with us

Tech

McAfee anti-virus namesake ‘on run from US Gov’

John McAfee, the eccentric founder and namesake of anti-virus company McAfee, has claimed to be on the run from the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

In a series of videos apparently featuring McAfee in a convoy of armoured cars, the cyber security personality claimed he had been issued a subpoena by the securities regulator.

Mr McAfee argued that the subpoena, sent to him due to his role as an executive at bitcoin-mining business MGT Capital Investments, damaged the company's prospects.

He had served as the "chief cyber security visionary" at MGT Capital from August 2017 until Janary 2018 and claimed to remain "a major stakeholder" after leaving the company.

Mr McAfee has recently been criticised for appearing to endorse on Twitter a range of cryptocurrencies, and questions have been raised as to whether he did so for personal gain.

In a video message released on Tuesday, Mr McAfee – who previously attempted to run for President of the United States as the candidate of the newly formed Cyber Party – complained about the federal government.

Image: John McAfee, pictured in 2012, has railed against the US SEC

"The SEC was never intended to have this power. Please God America wake up and see what has happened," he said.

"The SEC is in charge of our entire industry, our companies, our manufacturing, our distribution, our creativity, our entrepreneurship.

"When it was created in the wisdom of the creators it had only civil powers. If it got pissed off at you it could sue you, end of story. Well get in line, please.

"Now, with the cooperation of the justice department, the SEC can get involved or bring people in who can punish you beyond a civil suit. The SEC owns America, please God wake up people," he declared.

Mr McAfee had previously gone on the run after being declared a "person of interest" in connection with a murder in Belize.

He subsequently blogged about his disguises while in hiding, in one instance covering himself with shoe polish and affecting a limp in an attempt to convince onlookers he was a Guatemalan trinket peddler.

"And if you think that an agency of the US Government would not stoop to assassination, kidnapping, threats, then what are you smoking, what are you smoking? Please wake up," he said in his latest video.

More from Science & Tech

  • Zuckerberg agrees to face EU Parliament over Facebook data use

  • In the future, you'll mine cryptocurrency by dancing

  • Robofly: Engineers unveil insect-sized flying robot

  • LIVE: NASA astronauts undertake spacewalk to fix space station

  • Facebook takes down 583m fake accounts

  • Uber to launch 'panic button' for passengers in app

"And, for the trouble, and if there are any in the audience, please mind your mother's advice, else you'll end up just like me."

The SEC has been contacted for comment.

Continue Reading

Tech

How to track product recalls

Technology

One stop for all the things you wish you hadn’t shopped.

When it comes to product recall watch lists, there’s something for everything.

Continue Reading

Tech

Sky and Netflix combine to create ‘ultimate’ package

Sky and Netflix have announced details of their partnership, creating what they say will be the UK's "biggest on demand TV service".

The deal, first announced earlier this year, will see subscribers to Sky Q – Sky's premium TV box – able to access an 'Ultimate On Demand' pack for £10 extra per month.

It will allow customers of Sky, the owner of Sky News, full access to the Netflix app through their single Sky subscription, rather than having to pay Netflix separately.

Existing Sky Q customers with Netflix would be able to "easily move their account to the new pack or sign in to the Netflix app on Sky Q using their existing Netflix account details," Sky said.

The combined service will see Sky original productions such as Patrick Melrose and US shows such as HBO's Game of Thrones alongside Netflix's content, which includes The Crown and Stranger Things, for the first time.

Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip in The Crown
Image: Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip in The Crown

Chief executive of Sky's UK and Ireland operation, Stephen van Rooyen, said: "We want Sky Q to be the number one destination for TV fans.

"Partnering with Netflix means we will have all the best TV in one great value pack, making it even easier for you to watch all of your favourite shows.

Chris Whiteley, Netflix director of business development for the UK and Ireland, added: "Innovation is at the core of Netflix.

"We are delighted to partner with Sky to offer fans a new and exciting way to access the best of entertainment from around the world."

Despite the gloom, Netflix did add 5.1 million households from April to June
Image: Netflix, like Sky, has millions of subscribers in the UK and Ireland

A cross-company approach to shared content is not new to Sky after it announced late last year that it had done a deal with BT to show each other's channels.

More from Business

  • Shock as inflation jumps to six-month high of 2.7%

  • Sainsbury's-Asda merger referred for 'in-depth investigation'

  • Tesco takes on Aldi and Lidl as first Jack's store opens

  • Orla Kiely fashion label closes down stores

  • Car industry demands 'no-deal' Brexit ruled out by EU and UK

  • Royal Mail chairman Peter Long leaves post after pay rows

The surging growth of streaming services is the core reason Sky is at the centre of an ongoing takeover battle involving 21st Century Fox and Comcast.

Traditional media companies are seeking to bolster their offerings to take on the financial might of the tech firms behind the streaming trends, including Amazon with its Prime service.

Continue Reading

Tech

First look: iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and Apple Watch Series 4

Technology

Everything you need to know about Apple's latest products.

Hands on with Apple's new iPhones and Apple Watch.

Continue Reading

Tech

Satellite net collects space junk for the first time

By Thomas Moore, science correspondent

Debris orbiting the Earth at more than 17000 mph has been snared by a prototype 'junk hunting' satellite for the first time.

The experimental RemoveDebris satellite first released the metal object and then fired a five metre wide net to capture it from a distance of six metres.

The weight of the net will drag the toaster-sized object into the atmosphere over the next few months, where it will burn up.

Image: The techno;logy was developed at the Surrey University Space Centre

The success of the test paves the way for routine missions to clean-up the thousands of redundant satellites currently in orbit.

A NASA graphical representation of space junk orbiting the earth 0:35
Video: NASA animation of orbital space junk

RemoveDebris was designed and built by a consortium led by Surrey Space Centre at the University of Surrey.

Professor Guglielmo Aglietti, director of the centre, told Sky News that he was "delighted" they had overcome the technical challenges involved.

"The difficulty that we have is that you want to capture your piece of debris with the net, you want to envelop the piece of debris, then at the same time you want to draw a string so you actually capture the thing so it can't escape," he said.

"To synchronise all this, as you can imagine, is a bit challenging."

There are thought to be half a million objects larger than a tennis ball orbiting the planet at speeds high enough to destroy satellites and even the space station.

Tracking of the space net as it closes in on the target debris
Image: Tracking of the space net as it closes in on the target debris

Only the largest pieces, mainly defunct satellites and rocket parts, can be tracked by radar.

But even objects as small as a bolt can punch a hole in the honeycomb walls of satellites and their fragile wings of solar panels.

The nightmare scenario is a collision between two satellites in ever more crowded low Earth orbit. The resulting cloud of fragments could start a chain reaction of further collisions, wiping out large numbers of satellites.

The International Space Station could be damaged by debris
Image: The International Space Station could be damaged by debris

Ingo Retat of Airbus, which was part of the project, said: "We spent six years testing in parabolic flights, in special drop towers and also thermal vacuum chambers.

"Our small team of engineers and technicians have done an amazing job moving us one step closer to clearing up low Earth orbit."

More from Science & Tech

  • Mobile phone customers overcharged by almost half a billion pounds

  • UK 'garden shed' inventors win prize for device to help stroke survivors

  • Twitter to bring back chronological timeline – here's how to get it

  • EU scraps Ireland lawsuit in Apple 'state aid' case

  • Europol warns of 15 ways you could become a cyber crime victim

  • Jellyfish robots to be used to monitor fragile coral reefs

In the coming months RemoveDebris will test navigation systems and special scanners for analysing space junk. It will also fire a harpoon at a target and then reel it in, and deploy a drag sail that could be used to pull objects out of orbit.

The mission was co-funded by the European Union.

Continue Reading

Tech

UK inventors win prize for stroke survivor device

By Alexander J Martin, technology reporter

A "revolutionary device" which would help rehabilitate stroke survivors has been declared the winner of a government-supported competition.

It was selected from a shortlist of 10 "garden shed inventions" which could seriously transform people's lives in the competition which was sponsored by innovation foundation Nesta.

Inventor's Prize shortlists the UK's 10 best inventions

Inventor's Prize shortlists the UK's 10 best inventions

A 3D printable prosthetic arm and a "Kindle for blind people" are among the inventions selected by the National Inventor Prize

The winning invention, Neuroball, is a device developed by UK-based company Neurofenix, and it allows people who have suffered a stroke to engage in rehabilitation exercises.

Inspired by relatives of the firm's co-founders who suffered strokes, Neurofenix aims to improve the life of stroke survivors who may not receive enough support after they leave hospital.

By connecting to an online platform, the device enables patients to improve dexterity in their hand and arm in competitive and collaborative training.

The team behind the device have been announced as the winners of the Inventors Prize, launched as part of the government's industrial strategy last year.

They will be given £50,000 to help get their product to market, where it could be used to help the 1.2 million stroke survivors in the UK – with 100,000 more occurring every year.

"We are so excited to be selected as the winners of the Inventor Prize, from the nine other brilliant and inspiring entrepreneurs," said the Neurofenix team.

Urologic's NuCatheter device won second place in the prize
Image: Urologic's NuCatheter device won second prize in the competition

The competition was launched to find "Britain's grassroots and garden shed inventors" and the £15,000 prize for second-place went to Cambridge-based Urologic for their NuCath catheter device.

In the UK over 500,000 serious urinary tract infections per year are contracted as a result of indwelling catheters, and these account for up to 40% of all hospital-acquired infections – with an annual mortality rate of over 2,000.

The estimated cost to the NHS of treating these infections is around £2bn annually.

The third prize of £5,000 was awarded to Edward Rogers for developing the Canute, essentially a "Kindle for blind people", which Bristol Braille have been working on in collaboration with the blind community, including Steph Sergeant, for five years.

The Canute machine designed by Bristol Braille. Pic: Bristol Braille Technology CIC
Image: The Canute 'kindle for Braille' machine scooped the third prize

The business secretary Greg Clark congratulated the three winning inventors, saying: "Britain's makers, innovators and entrepreneurs are a huge asset to our country, adding billions to the UK economy and supporting hundreds of thousands of jobs."

"And the Inventor Prize has uncovered the fact that there are hundreds of people like this, in every corner of our country," added Mr Clark.

"While we wish to encourage every inventor out there, today we're excited to see The Inventor Prize award going to Neurofenix, as we believe this invention has the potential to truly impact society and we cannot wait to see the product enter the market."

Nesta's head of international development, Constance Agyeman, said: "We've certainly witnessed our 10 shortlisted finalists going on incredible journeys as they turn their dreams into reality."

The competitors have received "financial support and professional mentoring helping them develop their prototypes, source invaluable partners and suppliers and [to] create business plans", said Ms Agyeman.

More from Science & Tech

  • Twitter to bring back chronological timeline – here's how to get it

  • EU scraps Ireland lawsuit in Apple 'state aid' case

  • Europol warns of 15 ways you could become a cyber crime victim

  • Jellyfish robots to be used to monitor fragile coral reefs

  • Ofcom joins calls for independent internet regulation

  • Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa to become first moon space tourist

"We now hope all our entrants have been given the confidence and expertise they need to turn their ideas into real products and that they too continue their journeys."

"But we are especially excited to support our three overall winners in getting their products into the hands of consumers," she added.

Continue Reading

Trending