Connect with us

News

Trump: We’ll see if North Korea summit still on

Donald Trump has thrown fresh doubt over a planned US summit with North Korea next month, saying "we'll have to see".

The US President said whatever happens, he will still insist on the denuclearisation of North Korea.

Speaking at the White House at a meeting with the President of Uzbekistan, he said the US has not "heard anything" about threats to cancel the summit.

"We haven't been notified at all," Mr Trump said.

"We haven't seen anything. We haven't heard anything.

"We will see what happens."

:: North v South: A tale of two Koreas

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un shakes hands with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
Image: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo over Easter

Mr Trump's security adviser John Bolton said the odds are still in favour of the summit going ahead, he told Fox News Radio.

Early on Wednesday morning North Korea threatened to pull out of the first ever summit with the US, planned for 12 June in Singapore.

The North said it has no interest in a summit based on "one-sided" demands to give up its nuclear weapons.

First vice foreign minister Kim Kye Gwan said that if the US "corners us and unilaterally demands we give up nuclear weapons we will no longer have an interest in talks and will have to reconsider whether we will accept the upcoming DPRK-US summit".

President Trump greeted the returning prisoners 1:14
Video: Trump: Kim was 'nice' to let them go

His threat came after the North scrapped high-level talks with South Korea hours before they were due to start on Wednesday, blaming the South's military drills with the US, which began on Friday.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said earlier on Wednesday htat preparations for the summit were ongoing despite the cancellation of the South Korean talks.

She said Mr Trumpm is "hopeful" the meeting will still take place.

"If it doesn't we'll continue the maximum pressure campaign that's been ongoing," she told Fox and Friends.

Kim Jong Un (L) and Moon Jae-in (R) shake hands over the military demarcation line
Image: Kim Jong Un (L) and Moon Jae-in (R) shake hands over the military demarcation line

Kim Kye Gwan said the fate of the summit and relations between North Korea and the US "would be clear" if Washington spoke of a Libya-style denuclearisation for the North.

Mr Trump would also remain a "failed president" if he followed in the steps of his predecessors, the statement added.

Kim Kye Gwan appeared to be responding to recent comments from Mr Trump's security adviser John Bolton and others suggesting that North Korea should follow the "Libyan model" of nuclear disarmament.

Libya cut its nuclear programme in exchange for the easing of sanctions.

President Trump greeted the returning prisoners 1:14
Video: Trump: Kim was 'nice' to let them go

North Korea, however, sees the gruesome death of Libya's leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 as justification for its own nuclear development amid what it describes as US threats.

If the US-North Korea summit was to be cancelled, it would be frustrating and embarrassing for Mr Trump, who had promised to make it a "very special moment for world peace".

It will also be a blow to optimism inspired by last month's historic meeting between Mr Kim and South Korea's leader President Moon Jae-in.

At the meeting, the first between the two countries in 11 years, Mr Kim pledged a "new history".

More from World

  • Major eruption of Hawaii's Kilauea is 'imminent'

  • Theresa May calls for independent inquiry into 'tragic' Gaza deaths

  • Art dealer discovers unknown Rembrandt missed by Christie's

  • Gaza: A portrait of grief after day of deadly violence

  • Israeli snipers and shifting rules of engagement

  • Anwar Ibrahim freed from jail after pardon from new Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad

A joint statement said the two had confirmed their goal of achieving "a nuclear-free Korean peninsula through complete denuclearisation".

The statement did not provide any new specific ideas on how to achieve the objective, however.

Continue Reading

News

Officials watch as fiery cyclone grows over 200 ft high

Continue Reading

News

Man in Salisbury ‘illness’ hoaxed Prince Charles

Image copyright Instagram Anna Shapiro
Image caption A picture of the couple, posted on Ms Shapiro's Instagram account in 2015

The man who prompted a major incident in Salisbury after apparently falling ill in a restaurant – six months after a nerve agent attack in the city – once hoaxed Prince Charles.

Alex King, 42, was admitted to hospital on Sunday with his wife, after reports they became unwell in Prezzo.

Police sources have told the BBC a hoax is likely to be one line of inquiry, and that until the man had been spoken to "we can't rule anything in or out".

No arrests have been made.

On Tuesday, Mr King's wife, Anna Shapiro, 30, told the Sun that the Russian state had poisoned her and her husband.

The paper reported it was "what security sources fear was a suspected rat poison attack".

Ms Shapiro is a model and an Israeli citizen of Russian heritage.

A spokesman for the Sun told the BBC: "Like any newspaper, we were keen to talk to those at the centre of the incident and give them the opportunity to share with the public their version of events."

The BBC was unable to contact the couple.

Separately, Wiltshire Police said on Wednesday: "This is now a routine investigation.

"The woman from the restaurant has been interviewed once and is likely to be spoken to again. The next step is to speak to the man involved."

Wiltshire Police earlier confirmed the pair were not exposed to any nerve agent and that it was not linking their illness with the recent poisonings in Salisbury and Amesbury.

"Given recent events in Salisbury, the reporting of an event requiring the evacuation of bars and restaurants by police officers in bio-hazard suits, and that requires tests for the presence of Novichok, is of obvious public interest," a spokesman for the Sun added.

Salisbury District Hospital said "both patients are now medically fit" and have been discharged from hospital.

It is understood that the couple also tested negative for any other poisons, including rat poison.

Royal prank

In 2006 Mr King carried out a "prank" on the Prince of Wales at a film premiere.

He inserted himself into an official line-up of stars being greeted by Prince Charles and was later interviewed by the media about his deception.

He claimed the "prank" was carried out as part of a £100,000 bet with his employer – the convicted fraudster Edward Davenport.

In 2004, Mr King pleaded guilty at London's Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court to three counts of distributing indecent photographs or pseudo-photographs of children.

Negative results

In a statement on Wednesday, Lorna Wilkinson, director of nursing at Salisbury District Hospital, said "given recent events" they had tested Mr King and Ms Shapiro for nerve agents, when they were admitted on Sunday evening.

"Tests on both patients came back negative," she said. "Both patients are now medically fit and there is no need for them to be in hospital."

"While this incident did not involve nerve agents, it was still clearly very stressful for our staff who, once again, demonstrated the very best of the NHS.

"I want to thank them for rising to the occasion yet again," she added.

On 4 March, Russian ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia collapsed in Salisbury having been exposed to the nerve agent Novichok.

After weeks in hospital they were released, but in June, two Amesbury residents fell ill after being exposed to the same nerve agent. Dawn Sturgess, 44, later died.

The UK government has accused two Russian men, Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov, of attempting to kill the Skripals.

But in an interview on a Russian state-run news channel, they claimed to be tourists. Russia has denied any involvement in the poisoning.

Continue Reading

News

‘He’s out of touch!’ Macron ‘living in la-la-land’ says gardener mocked by president

THE UNEMPLOYED gardener who French President Emmanuel Macron said had only to “cross the road” to find a job described the controversial piece of advice on Tuesday as “a slap in the face”.

Continue Reading

News

Westminster inquest: CCTV shows attacker’s preparations

Continue Reading

News

Iran travel WARNING: UK warns against ‘all but ESSENTIAL travel’ for dual citizens

THE UK has advised British-Iranian dual nationals against all but essential travel to Iran, tightening up its existing travel advice and warning it has only limited powers to support them if detained.

Continue Reading

Trending