Connect with us

News

US military says new images show Iran links to tanker blasts

The US military has released new images it says show Iran's Revolutionary Guard were behind the attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week.

The Pentagon said the photos, taken from a Navy helicopter, show Iranian forces removing an unexploded mine from the side of the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous.

Other photos show a large hole on the side of the Courageous, above the water line, that officials say appears to have been caused by another mine.

Iran Gulf of Oman attacks
Image: One image shows damage on the side of The Courageous
Iran Gulf of Oman attacks
Image: The Pentagon blames Iran's Revolutionary Guard

The Pentagon released the photos to bolster its claim that Iran was responsible for the attacks.

"Iran is responsible for the attack based on video evidence and the resources and proficiency needed to quickly remove the unexploded limpet mine," the US military's Central Command said in a statement.

Advertisement Tanker attacks: Was it Iran, and will it lead to war?

Tanker attacks: Was it Iran, and will it lead to war?

As the US accuses Iran of being behind the attacks, Sky's diplomatic editor Dominic Waghorn analyses what may happen next

Iran insists the US has no hard evidence about its alleged involvement in the 13 June attacks on two ships in the Strait of Hormuz.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has said the UK's own assessment was that Iran was behind the planting of limpet mines on the tankers.

More from Iran

  • Iran to pull out of nuclear treaty if EU fails to save deal, Iranian MP warns

  • Corbyn criticised as 'pathetic' over response to oil tanker attacks blamed on Iran

  • Tanker attacks: Was it Iran, and will it lead to war?

  • Oil tanker attacks 'almost certainly' carried out by Iran, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt says

  • Divers on speedboats 'planted explosives on oil tankers', report says

  • Row over £400m debt linked to Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe release is 'nonsense', says her husband

Despite British and US intelligence findings, Germany and others insisted on Monday it needed a clearer picture before wading into a row which could have serious implications in the Middle East.

The fire on board one of the ships
Image: The fire on board one of the ships
The ships were reportedly attacked in the Gulf of Oman
Image: The ships were attacked in the Gulf of Oman

It comes as Iran said it will pull out of the world's nuclear non-proliferation treaty if the EU fails to save another deal struck in 2015 on its nuclear programme.

Mojtaba Zolnour said: "There is not much time left until the end of the 60 days ultimatum given by Iran to the Europeans to save the (2015) deal," he said.

"After that Iran will suspend implementation of the non-proliferation treaty."

The 2015 nuclear deal between Iran, the US, the UK, France, China, Russia and Germany, called the JCPOA, reduced Iran's stockpile of uranium by 98% to 300kg (660lbs), and said that quantity must not be exceeded until 2031.

However, the US unilaterally pulled out of the agreement last year and reimposed sanctions.

Continue Reading




Subscribe

Trending